Monday, May 1, 2017

Don't Wish for Things to Change be Patient


"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, 
and your attitude when you have everything."
-Unknown
Yesterday I had one of those days that make you want to scream—a day that makes you want to crawl back into bed and stay there! I have been dealing with a bit of back pain because of stress from some issues with my house. Due to the tumultuous weather we have been having, some parts of the roof on my home have missing shingles which resulted in leaks in the kitchen, garage, and living room. I have flooring, ceilings, and a roof that needs pairing. I have been feeling hopeless these last couple of weeks because the rain has not stopped so that the construction can begin. According to my husband (who knows about these things) repairing roofs, floors and ceilings is not an overnight job, and I needed to be patient. So, I started speaking to God and asking for patience. I did not want that roof fixed or my back pain to disappear. I just wanted patience to endure what I needed to endure with grace. I felt ridiculous because I know that there are bigger problems in the world and that missing shingles or damaged flooring is something that will eventually get fixed. Then it hit me! If I had only one wish, my wish would be to develop the virtue of patience. I started to realize that all my major problems have always been solved in one way or another and that I had no reason to suffer. My suffering comes from my lack of patience—my wanting things to get fixed now! Today, I want to dedicate this post to patience. With patience, anything is possible. With patience, you will make your dreams come true! Here are three tips on developing calmness and perseverance in your life by embracing patience.

Admit that you are impatient.
The first step to changing anything in your life is to admit that you have a problem. I used to believe that I was perfect and that patience was one of my top virtues. Now I have recognized my problem and I’m trying to do something about it. When you admit that impatience is a problem, don’t mistake it for procrastination. Patience isn’t about sitting idle and waiting for things to happen. It’s about understanding that the best things in life do require work and dedication, but they won’t be done overnight.

Develop the ability to embrace waiting.
Embrace waiting by not getting caught up in your emotional impulses. I embrace waiting by being present and mindful of my thoughts and actions. For example, yesterday I needed to step back and see my situation from another angle. When you feel that you need to have something done this moment, step back and relax. Focus on your breathing if you need to and visualize things working out. Be mindful of your thoughts and actions.

Analyze the situation and decide the next steps.
As I analyze my home situation and realize that it’s not a life or death matter, I am able to relax. I know my roof and floors will get done in due time and all I can do is be patient. If you have something else that you can be doing as you embrace waiting, do it. If not, relax and let things work out at their own pace. Trust me, things will get done. When you are impatient with a person, be mindful of your thoughts and understand that everyone is working at their level.  You can journal your thoughts or feelings about a situation. Find possible solutions and next steps, and then let it go.

Life can be overwhelming, but it’s up to us to center ourselves and to surrender the idea that things must happen now. As I let go of time expectations I discover more peace in my life. Yes, things will fall apart and take you off the journey to your becoming, but eventually things will come together the way they were meant to. As I go into my kitchen and see the destruction of the ceiling and floors I also remind myself to look at my beautiful white cabinets that were not ruined. These minor setbacks that can take away our patience can also direct our attention to the blessings in our lives. I have wasted precious time and energy focusing on what is not working in my life, but these moments were also perfect. Until next Monday, Believe. Change. Become!

Nancy😊

No comments:

Post a Comment